- How to stop emotional eating?
- I have found that people often have a fear about giving something up or about their abilities to do so. I have also found that people often really don’t want to give up some of the old patterns of life. That’s why stopping emotional eating is about adding new things to your life rather than taking away old things.
- The first step is to allow emotions back into your life. By allowing your emotions, you will start feeling them instead of suppressing them. If you do this a bit more each and every day, you will find that you will effortlessly crave less of the unhealthy things that may have been used as a coping mechanism in your life. The result will be recording over old patterns that, in the past, have been destructive.
- Emotions serve a purpose, exactly like our five senses. They send us a signal and are here to help us.
- The second step is to use a scale from 0 to 10 to determine how hungry you truly are. 0 being hungry, and 10 being stuffed.
- Then learn how to eat only when you’re at 0. Ad stop eating when you’re at 5, which means that you’re not hungry anymore, but you still feel light and energetic.
Free Guided Meditation to Stop Emotional Eating
With this free guided meditation mp3, you will naturally reprogram your mind to stop emotional eating. All you have to do is put your headphones on, relax and listen to it every night for a week while falling asleep!
Free Course to Help You Lose Weight Without Dieting
Restrictive diets suck! They mess up our metabolism, our hormone product and our relationship with food. We may lose weight quickly at first, but then we gain back more than we lost. And all that, up to 6 years after we stopped dieting!
This infuriates me. That’s why I created a free course where I help you break free of the all-or-nothing mentality and teach you what and how to eat to lose weight in a sustainable way.
Until now, you have visualized yourself reacting to situations with a learned pattern of fear or anxiety.
That cycle can be broken by learning how to view yourself as confident, safe, and secure in any situation that used to bring discomfort!
STEP 1. UNDERSTAND THAT FEELINGS ARE GOOD
Understand that all of your feelings are good.
Boredom, loneliness, stress, anger. All of your feelings are there for a reason.
There is no difference between the five outer senses, touch, taste, sight, smell and hearing, and all of your inner senses that we call feelings.
They are there to help you and guide you, so that you can take care of yourself in a way that is most beneficial to you.
Your feelings are like the gauges and lights on the dashboard of a car. These lights and gauges on the car are there for a reason. They help you to know what to do in order to keep it running efficiently so that it will run reliably for a long time. This allows you to get the most out of your ownership of the car. The best performance, and value.
The same goes for you and your body, feelings help tell you how to take the best care of yourself. If you treated a car the way you have been treating your body, the car would soon be in trouble, much the same way that you are in trouble now.
When the oil light lights up in a car, the driver does not pull into a gas station and put more gas into the tank, especially if the tank is already full. This is what you have been doing to your body.
STEP 2. KNOW WHAT YOUR FEELINGS MEAN
When you feel anxious, it is a signal, to look around, something in your life needs fixing.
Being depressed is a signal to become more effective. It’s a call to action.
Feeling frustrated means that what you are doing is not working, try something else.
Being stressed out means that you are trying to do too much, to do it all well.
And when you feel loneliness, it means that you have a healthy desire for human contact. Call someone, talk to a neighbor, go for a walk and take in the energy of the crowd.
Eating does not satisfy any of these feelings any more than putting more gas in your car will fix an oil or temperature problem.
STEP 3. RATE YOUR HUNGER FROM 0 TO 10
Use a kind of built in hunger scale to determine when your body is hungry.
This special hunger scale ranges from 0 to 10. 10 is that feeling of being so stuffed…the kind of stuffed after eating a huge thanksgiving meal.
0 is true hunger, it’s the number at which your body sends you loving messages that you recognize as saying “I am really hungry right now”.
0 on the hunger scale is your body telling you that it is truly time to eat. When you do reach that 0 on the hunger scale, you find yourself eating the foods your body is telling you it needs to be a healthy and fit size… foods that hydrate and nourish each and every cell of your body as you eat them.
Using your built in hunger scale allows you to eat for the right reason…because you are hungry.
And you also use this hunger scale to tell yourself when to stop eating. You stop eating when your body is comfortable…just right.
On the hunger scale the perfect number at which you stop eating is at a light, energetic 5….it is the perfect number for your body to be a healthy and fit size.